History:(based on Lectionary Lessons)
C X 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Method:On the Cross:
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one that has been laid; that foundation is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—the work of each builder will become visible, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each has done. If what has been built on the foundation survives, the builder will receive a reward. If the work is burned up, the builder will suffer loss; the builder will be saved, but only as through fire. Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. Do not deceive yourselves. If you think that you are wise in this age, you should become fools so that you may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, ‘He catches the wise in their craftiness,’ and again, ‘The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.’ So let no one boast about human leaders. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all belong to you, and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God. -- 1 Corinthians 3:11-23
O God, who by the preaching of your blessed servant Columba caused the light of the Gospel to shine in Scotland: Grant, we pray, that, having his life and labors in remembrance, we may show our thankfulness to you by following the example of his zeal and patience; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous, and give thanks to his holy name! -- Psalm 97:12
Week Beads: Psalm 97:1-2,7-11
1. The LORD is king! Let the earth rejoice; let the many coastlands be glad!
2. Clouds and thick darkness are all around him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of his throne.
3. All worshipers of images are put to shame, those who make their boast in worthless idols; all gods bow down before him.
4. Zion hears and is glad, and the towns of Judah rejoice, because of your judgments, O God.
5. For you, O LORD, are most high over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods.
6. The LORD loves those who hate evil; he guards the lives of his faithful; he rescues them from the hand of the wicked.
7. Light dawns for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart.
The seventy returned with joy, saying, ‘Lord, in your name even the demons submit to us!’ He said to them, ‘I watched Satan fall from heaven like a flash of lightning. See, I have given you authority to tread on snakes and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing will hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice at this, that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.’ -- Luke 10:17-20