Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Iona Chaplet

History:
Created by Rev. R. Ashton.
This Chaplet begins with a prophecy about Iona attributed to Columba. It concludes with another blessing attributed to Columba for those who experience Iona. The remainder of the chaplet comes from Psalms 139 and 97. I put together this chaplet for those who are going on pilgrimage to Iona or for those who would like to reconnect with a pilgrimage they have made there in the past.

Medals/Beads:
C X 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Method:
On the Cross:
Iona of my heart, Iona of my love, instead of monks' voices shall be the lowing of cattle, but ere the world comes to an end, Iona shall be as it was. (St. Columcille)
Invitatory Bead:
Lord, you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You trace my journeys and my resting-places and are acquainted with all my ways. (Ps. 139:1-3)
Cruciform Bead:
Where can I go from your Spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I climb up to heaven, you are there; if I make the grave my bed, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand will lead me, and your right hand hold me fast. (Ps. 139:7-10)
Week Beads:
1st: The Lord is Sovereign! Let the earth rejoice! Let the multitude of isles be glad. 
2nd: Clouds and darkness are round about you, righteousness and justice are the foundations of your throne.
3rd: Your lightening flashes out across the world.  The earth sees and trembles.  
4th: The heavens declare your righteousness, O Lord, and all the peoples see your glory. 
5th: The Lord loves those who hate evil; the Lord guards the lives of the faithful and delivers them from the hand of the wicked. 
6th: Light has sprung up for the righteous, and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.  
7th: Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous, and give thanks to his holy name! (Ps. 97:1-2, 4, 6, 10-12)
Exit Cross:
Behold Iona! A blessing on every eye that sees her! Those who do good for others there, will find their own redoubled many-fold! (St. Columcille)

No comments:

Post a Comment